BAPS Motor Speedway
Russ Mitten Collects First Super Sportsman Victory of the Year at BAPS
YORK HAVEN, Pa.: Despite being a part-time racer this season, Russ Mitten expected to visit Victory Lane a time or two at BAPS Motor Speedway.
It stands to reason. Mitten was full time a year ago and notched six victories in the Meyer’s RV Super Sportsman division. There is no way he lost a step in that short of time.
But the task has been a little more difficult than expected. So much so that Mitten didn’t get a fronstretch picture taken until he captured his first win of 2023 at Saturday night’s 25-Lap Blazer’s Body Shop Night at the York Haven, Pa., oval.
“Man, I didn’t think I was going to win another race,” Mitten said. “This is our eighth race this year, and I guess I thought I would have a win before this. We struggled a bit, and I don’t know if it’s because I don’t race every week and get behind or if everybody else picked up their game since last year.
“We knew this year would be different picking and choosing the races we were going to come to ... semi-retire, I guess. I’ve got a little girl, and she is 8, and there are other things to do in life other than race. I don’t want to miss out on things with her or just for me. So, we decided to do a part-time deal, and it’s tough if you don’t race every week.”
It didn’t look tough on this night. Mitten started sixth on the grid and wasted little time carving his way through the top five.
Mitten got a great jump on a Lap 2 restart and charged from sixth to second in the running order. He was only .087 seconds behind leader Scott Grace when he hit the stripe, and he made the winning pass one lap later.
Once out front, Mitten was the class of the field. Blake Brooks stopped in Turn 4 on Lap 16 to give the rest of the pack a chance, but second-place John Edkin and the rest of the pack could only watch as Mitten sped away to a .873-second victory.
“I think that was the longest race ever,” Mitten chuckled. “Someone got into the back of me after that yellow, and it was really technical how you got into [the corner], and you had to hit it just right, which involves slowing down a little bit to hit it coming off.
“I’m just happy to be standing out here. The track was to my liking tonight. It was a little rough, but it was good. If there is a bottom, I’m going to be there if the car is good.”
John Edkin came home second. Eleventh-place starter Scott Dellinger, Kenny Edkin, who lined up 12th, and Grace completed the top five in the 20-car field.
The win came just in time. Mitten will come back next week and try to win his third-straight victory in the Herr’s Chip 49th annual Gary Wolford Super Sportsman 100, which is presented by Drydene.
“I’m happy to win a race this year,” Mitten said. “We are going to run the 100 next week, and that’s going to be it for me for the year, but it’s good to get one in before that.
“It would be great to win [three-straight]. We are going to come down and give it everything we’ve got and see where we end up.”
In the Creekside Auto Sales 358 Late Model main event, Scott Palmer started fourth and surged to the front to capture the 20-Lap victory.
D.J. Mease started on the pole and led the first seven circuits. Chuck Schutz, who lined up second, sped into the lead one lap later.
The lead for Schutz was short-lived. Palmer charged into the lead on Lap 9 and survived a caution period to take the win by 1.080 seconds. Jedadiah Latshaw, Charles Potts, Devin Frey, and Jake Moser completed the top five.
Steve Kemery made his first start at BAPS Motor Speedway count, when he bagged the victory in the 20-Lap FXG Sign and Label/Dickey’s 602 Crate Sportsman feature.
Adam White started on the pole and led the first 12 laps. Kemery, who started fifth, methodically made his way to the front, sliding into third by the 11th circuit and taking the lead on Lap 13.
Two cautions slowed Kemery’s pace, but he was able to hold off White the rest of the way. He took the win by .450 seconds over second place. Tom Princiotta, Brad Brightbill, and Michael White completed the top five.
Patrick McClane dominated the Superior Homes Extreme Stock feature, claiming the win by 1.647 seconds. Sam Rial, Bob Scott Jr. Hunter Fulton, and Jason Townsend completed the top five.
Meyers RV Super Sportsman ( 20 Cars ):
- 77 Russ Mitten 2) 35 John Edkin 3) 39 Scott Dellinger 4) 75 Kenny Edkin 5) 99G Scott Grace 6) 10 Troy Rhome 7) 2m Matt Ondek 8) 222 Jay Fannasy 9) 318 Steve Wilbur 10) 22 Daniel John 11) 21R Jamie Rickert
- 38DD Luke Lenker 13) 9B Blake Brooks 14) F14 Jason Fraker 15) 383 George Riden 16) 11 Chad Baker 17) 88 Tony Jackson 18) 25 Tyler Wolford 19) 7 Timmie Barrick
DNS: 38H Allan Hallman
Lap Leaders: 383 Riden ( 1 ), 99G Grace ( 2 ), 77 Mitten ( 3 - 25 )
Heat Winners: 7 Barrick, 30 Dellinger
FXG Sign and Label / Dickeys 602 Modifieds ( 20 Cars ):
- 69K Steve Kemery 2) 15 Adam White 3) 32 Tom Princiotta 4) 19 Brad Brightbill 5) 43 Michael White 6) 4w Brandon Watkins 7) 20 Ryan Simmons 8) 1JR Talan Carter 9) 5 Bryce Bashore 10) 44 Bob Stough
- 17 Bobby Kupp 12) B4 Tim Borror 13) 4 Bobby Watkins 14) 78 Troy Conrad 15) 54 Scott Albert 16) 57 Mia Guy 17) 55 Chase Rehbein 18) 47 Nick Arment 19) 33s Skylar Sheriff
DNS: 3 Brandon Banos
Lap Leaders: 15 White ( 1 - 12 ), 69K Kemery ( 13 - 20 )
Heat Winners: 69K Kemery, 32 Princiotta
Creekside Auto Sales 358 Late Models ( 26 Cars ):
- 86 Scott Palmer 2) 25 Jed Latshaw 3) 5 Charles Potts 4) 62 Devin Frey 5) 41 Jake Moser 6) ONE Chuck Schutz 7) 5w Travis Horan 8) 52 Mike Walls 9) 08 Zach Kauffman 10) 116 Travis Mease 11) 18 DJ Mease
- 94 Brandon Bard 13) 77 Matt Adams 14) 99 Chad Smith 15) 21m Matt Murphy 16) NINE Ross Leinbach 17) 543 Eric Tripp 18) 48 Kyle Nicholas 19) 14 Lucas Adams 20) 711 Jennifer Lesher 21) 72 Wayne Pfeil
- 54 Cole Slanker 23) 3B Cameron Benyou 24) 12 Bobby Beard
DNQ: 79 Tyler Bowman, 33 Kenny Kluge
Lap Leaders: 18 Mease ( 1 - 7 ), ONE Schutz ( 8 ), 86 Palmer ( 9 - 20 )
Heat Winners: 62 Frey, 3B Benyou, 52 Walls
Superior Homes Extreme Stocks ( 14 Cars ):
- 79 Patric McClane 2) 11 Sam Rial 3) 47 Bob Scott Jr. 4) 7F Hunter Fulton 5) 41 Jason Townsend 6) 33 Michael Goodwin 7) 91 Will Long 8) 7JR Johnny Palm 9) 88 Tyler Chase 10) 5 Tyler Knaub 11) 27 Doug Hoffman
- 19K Cameron Kohler 13) 4 Les Scrivens
DNS: 99 John Remlin
Lap Leaders: 27 Hoffman ( 1 - 3 ), 79 McClane ( 4 - 20 )
Heat Winners: 47 Scott, 7F Fulton
Article Credit: BAPS Motor Speedway